3 DAYS WITHOUT PHONE

It's day 5 of 2021 and I am without a phone for 5 days now. I swear I resolved to reduce my screen time but not this way. But it wasn't as horrible as it seems, my head seems better now or it was until the family drama struck again. Me and my phone are in a symbiotic relationship. It's the first thing I pick in the morning and the last thing I put down before I sleep. I stay alone most of the time so even while having meals I watch something on my phone. It's not just me but phones have become prevalent parts of human lives. Smart phone ownership is increasing every year and what's the reason it should be? I mean smartphones are revolutionary one of the best inventions ever. They have replaced the need of so many gadgets its just all in one. It provides more choice, more freedom, easy accessibility, more connectivity, easy usage and a lot more. But where does harm lie?  


Mobile phones and technology have become addictions and when left without them physical and mental distress, panic, confusion and extreme isolation kicks in. It causes effects similar to drug withdrawal.


Not having a phone gave me a chance to try this on. I wanted see if really cutting off from technology had such impact. Honestly speaking I used my day 1 to binge on Netflix and day 5 to write this article, but the days in between were technology less.


This is what I figured out in these 3 days:


1. Every morning I used to wake up with the thought "where is my phone?" and then knowing that I don't have it made me anxious. I couldn’t receive that warming hit of dopamine I was so used to and, therefore, felt anxiety and lack of control.


2. Being Keerat Kaur it was tough to let a day go without posting anything on social media.


3. I couldn't respond back to messages and among all these people I know,  just my best friends were concerned about my phone not getting connected.

  To give up technology is more than just reclaiming one’s space but to turn your back on your friends, relatives and even society. We have accepted the use of mobile phones so fully that one would be missing out if they didn’t have a mobile; almost, because everyone else does it, so do I – no matter what the consequences.


4. I felt like I had so much time, this made me realize how much of my time I spend on my phone, if not doing anything in particular then just scrolling through memes, looking at my gallery, at times just locking, unlocking.


5. Staying away from creepy family members was the best consequence of not having a phone.


6. The worst part was not being able to order food.


7. Replacing Netflix with books was a good option.


8. My bitch, Sophie, I could pay attention to her and she was really having with no camera around her.

 

We are so wrapped up in technology that we are missing out on living our physical lives and instead, are getting caught up in our virtual identities. However, it is actually good to live a life without uploading it on social media. I am so ready to leave my phone every Sunday and know the filter less me better . Life is so much better when you experience life for life without getting distracted by technology.

 



XOXO:)

Comments

Post a Comment